What is IFHE?
The International Federation for Home Economics is the only worldwide organization concerned with Home Economics and Consumer Studies.
It was founded in 1908 to serve as a platform for international exchange within the field of Home Economics.
IFHE is an International Non Governmental Organization (INGO), having consultative status with the United Nations (ECOSOC, FAO, UNESCO and UNICEF) and with the Council of Europe.
Aims of IFHE
- Provide opportunities for Global networking among professionals
- Promote the recognition of Home Economics in the everyday lives of individuals and families
- Promote continuing education in Home Economics
- Provide opportunities through practice, research and professional sharing that lead to improving the quality of everyday life for individuals, families and households worldwide
What does IFHE offer?
- Global networking opportunities
- International Information and Publications e.g. Home Economics News (quarterly)
- Congresses and Workshops
- World Congress every four years
- Council Meeting biennial
- Annual Meeting (Executive and Committees)
- Various events on international, national and regional level
- Representation of home economics interests at the international level
- Platform for worldwide research reporting
Mission Statement of the IFHE
The mission of the International Federation for Home Economics is to provide an international forum for home economists to develop and express the home economics concerns for individuals, families and households at the United Nations and among other international non - governmental Organizations whose interests parallel those of home economics.
The ultimate goal of the Federation is the improvement of the quality of everyday life for individuals, families and households through the management of their resources.
Its Aims shall be:
- To promote human rights and the universal values of households and families as environments within which individuals are assisted to reach their full potential and to acknowledge their global interdependence.
- To promote awareness that
- families and households are the prime nurturing environments for every human being, and
- mental, physical, psychological and emotional family well - being is the basic infrastructure for all other forms of social and economic development.
- To emphasize the social, economic and environmental impact of the management of everyday life of individuals, families and households.
- To promote the concept of families and households as operating within a larger social, economic and physical environment with a myriad of exchanges between individuals and these larger environments on a daily basis.
- To press for a recognition of the need for education for home and family life in all of the above areas for all age levels and in all societies.
- To develop positions on issues within the focus and expertise of home economics and to emphasize the importance of these at the local, regional, national and international levels.
- To support and cooperate in action taken by other organizations in respect of social issues of concern to the membership and the focus of IFHE.
- To support research in areas relevant to home economics (individual, household and family issues related to the satisfaction of physical and psychological needs) which expand the understanding of the ecological view of individuals, families and households in the larger environment.